After admission of Slovak Republic in the European Union Slovakia became not only a member of the Union as whole, but also simultaneously a full member of the European Research Area. The main objective of European Research Area is to support the implementation of research of global quality. The main financial instruments, which the European Union already uses a long time, are the framework programs for research and development.
During the preparation of report was in force the 7th European Union Framework Programme for research, development and demonstration activities and the EURATOM Programme (FP7). The total amount of funds from the EU budget devoted to this programme represents 50.52 billion EURO in given seven years, while in comparison to its predecessor is it more than two-fold increase of resources. This fact also suggests that the qualitative research projects have a growing importance at the European Union level.
Slovak Organization for Research and Development Activities developed for the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic the report of Slovak Republic´s participation in FP7 on the date 15 August 2011.
The basic conclusions resulting from the report:
- Low proportion on the budget of the obtained projects (35 mil. z 823 mil. € for projects with Slovak participation)
- A high proportion of the supported projects (CSA-SA projects)
- The lower success rate of selecting projects for financing
- Insufficient participation of academic and public sector
- Insufficient diversification of teams and projects with Slovak participation